Helpful Clutter Clearing Tips
Getting rid of clutter opens up space for new opportunities and possibilities to come into our lives. Give it a try and see what happens! We think you’ll also find that it will uplift your spirit and create a more harmonious living environment.
— Make it easy: Try 20 minutes a day. No strain, no sweat. That’s 2.33 hours in a week and a realistic 9.33 hours in a month and 112 hours per year. Imagine what you can accomplish!
— Work on closets or rooms one at a time. For example, start in the foyer closet, onto linen closet and finally clothes closet. Don’t try to do everything at once!
— When in doubt, move it on and make room for something new
— Gift something away or do creative giveaways like a clothing swap among friends.
— Get a clutter-clearing buddy to help keep you accountable.
— Get in the habit of living clutter free:
- Make bed daily
- Empty wastebaskets regularly
- Keep your floors free of any loose items including stairs and entrances
- Stop clutter before it starts.
- Before you buy it, ask do I really need it? Do I really love it?
- When something comes in, move one item out. (You know if this pertains to you!)
— Get Organized:
- Create a set place for your mail with a trash can nearby
- Have a place for kids’ stuff – toys, coats book bags
- Put things you use often in easy to get to areas
- Make it easy to put things where they belong
- Get a filing cabinet and use it
- Write messages and notes down in a notebook rather than little tiny pieces of paper
- Use bulletin boards only for current pieces of information
- Store similar items together
- Label boxes
- Store seasonal items like holiday décor and winter clothes.
- Hire a professional organizer if needed, but know that they don’t usually address emotional and spiritual causes.
- Bring financial paperwork up to date – taxes, checkbook balancesRemember, anytime is a good time to clear. Clear at least once a year, when starting something new, after a vacation, etc. Just do it!
- Don’t forget to de-clutter your car and purse!
— Keep Motivated: Check in with the Pa Qua and take note of how your life is changing.Celebrate your accomplishments!